Friday, March 28, 2008

What do I do when my Toshiba laptop desktop freezes up but the start menu still works?

What do I do when my Toshiba laptop desktop freezes up but the start menu still works?
After my Toshiba laptop has been on for a couple of hours, the icons on the desktop stop working. I can still get to everything through my start menu but I have the shortcuts on my desktops for a reason, the ease of getting to them. If I restart my computer everything works again but I was wondering if there is a better solution out there. Any suggestions?
Laptops & Notebooks - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
If you charge it fully might help. if not then you will probably just have to restart it.
2 :
Re-installing Windows should fix it, but that's a bit extreme. First, make sure there's at least 3 or 4 GB of free space on the hard drive. Then, if it still gives trouble, try increasing the page file size. De-fragmenting the hard drive can help too. Presumbly you have up-to-date anti-virus and anti-spyware software on your computer, and presumably you run it from time to time... Do you? If - after doing the above - it's still crap, then a Windows re-install is the answer. If it's old but you want to keep it, you could put more RAM in it. That should help - but only once you've fixed any under-lying problems. p.s. I can't help but laugh at the superstitious black magic being espoused by Kathryn above... p.p.s. Use Firefox (www.mozilla.org) as your web browser and not Internet Explorer. That'll make a big difference on any computer!
3 :
It can be overload or virus infected. I would recommend you clean windows registry to solve the problem. Download a tool called RegTool and scan your PC under safe mode. http://www.keep-pc-clean.com/

Read more discussions: