Wednesday, January 14, 2009

How can i activate my webcam on a L305 toshiba laptop after installing linux?

How can i activate my webcam on a L305 toshiba laptop after installing linux?
I have a Toshiba L305 laptop currently installed with Windows 7 and i want to switch to Linux but i am wondering if i will have the functionality of my webcam. I am so sick and tired of windows right now its killing me.
Laptops & Notebooks - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Considering a PC is ONLY as smart as its user, don't blame Windows. 95% of peoples computer troubles are caused by themselves. Good luck on finding a linux driver for your cam.
2 :
I hear you. I don't think you'll have a problem. usually you can just "turn it on" by going on a video chat site or program. Like, if you go to Facebook Video Chat Rounds (http://www.rounds.com/facebook-video-chat/) It will detect your webcam and ask to "allow access." If you click "allow," it will activate the webcam. That shouldn't be affected by your OS.
3 :
Depending on the distro of linux you are using, if you search your software center or repositories and search for cheese webcam booth and install it, it should auto detect the cam for you. I have a toshiba L505 and it worked for me.

Read more discussions: