Wednesday, May 7, 2008

I just got an old Toshiba laptop, and it is loaded with data

I just got an old Toshiba laptop, and it is loaded with data. How can I do a full system restore on it?
I just got a used Toshiba laptop, and it is loaded with data. I want to know how to do a complete system restore so I can get rid of all the other person's files (whom I got it from). I've read other questions and answers, and most of them say I need a special disk that I did not receive. Can I get some help?
Laptops & Notebooks - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
If you don't have a special disk from the manufacturer (Toshiba), then you will need to find the drivers on Toshiba's website so that you can load them after you format and reinstall Windows. You'll need video, audio, and network drivers, most likely.
2 :
You can manually delete the files, pictures etc but can be time consuming. Older lap tops do not have a built in system recovery to re install the operating system and this is what you need to do to remove all the stuff on it. A system restore will not do this as it will only take the system back to a previous date and time but does not change or remove files or programs. You can order a set of operating system disc from http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp by model and serial number if it is not to old.
3 :
First thing to try, even though it probably won't work with an OLD Toshiba laptop anyway, is to try and run a restore from the recovery partition. This will restore the laptop to how it was brand new. To access the Toshiba recovery partition, power off the laptop. Hold down the 0 (zero) key and turn the laptop on. Keep holding down the zero key until the TOSHIBA logo appears, where you should start tapping the zero key repeatedly. Stop if the unit beeps or when the TOSHIBA logo disappears. The screen should flash ** HDD RECOVERY MODE ** for a split second, then load the Toshiba recovery program right from the hard drive.
4 :
You can get recovery CDs for many different models of computers at a very reasonable price at this web site: http://www.ezrestorepc.com/ I got a recovery CD package from them for my old HP system (my original CDs were scratched and could not be read) and it was a lifesaver. To use the recovery CD, you just pop in the first CD, boot up the system, and follow the prompts.
5 :
I agree with the previous response. You'll need to request restore disks to re-install windows, but of course this is in case you can't create the restore disks themselves. Your Toshiba laptop should have a utility for this in the programs menu. System restore is useful if your laptop has created a restore point prior to when that person installed all that data. If not, a restore disk is necessary or you can identify and remove those programs one by one. There's one exception though. If your laptop still kept a system partition (only visible in disk management), then when you restart your computer you should see on the black screen some recovery options. I don't recall if it's F8, F12 or F1 but I only did it once for a customer. Within that you can restore your system to its factory condition without the discs.
6 :
DiskGetor data recovery is Best Data Recovery Software , Hard drive data recovery , Disk Recovery Software, Data Rescue Tool

Read more discussions: