Friday, January 14, 2011

What can I do to fix my new Toshiba laptop's CD drive?

What can I do to fix my new Toshiba laptop's CD drive?
I have recently purchased a Satellite toshiba laptop, only a couple of months ago, and the CD drive is suddenly refusing to work. Whenever I insert a CD the computer loads for a second, then the CD drive makes a strange sort of jamming noise, and it acts as though nothing is there. How can I fix this?
Laptops & Notebooks - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
If it's any and all CD's you put in there it's most likely a failed drive in which case I would contact Toshiba to have t fixed; if it's only a couple of months old it should still e under warranty. If it is only certain CD's then maybe you just have bad discs.
2 :
If the item is brand new from a store you have a minimum 1 year warranty. You need to call Toshiba and tell them the problem. They are a large company and have decent tech support. If you purchased it from a private party you're probably stuck and will have to replace the drive. You will pay a pretty high fee to have a computer store that specializes in notebook repair do the work but it is probably the best idea. Good luck on trying to get this done. I've been there and done that.
3 :
Call Toshiba. If you can handle installing it they'll probably just send you one. There are usually only 1 or 2 retaining screws holding it in. It ain't rocket science. Some pieces are made to be replaced in laptops. Though the small phillips head screwdriver will cost ya a buck. Otherwise, since it is still under warranty they'll fix it ,but you may have to pay shipping. Call and ask.

Read more discussions: